Tuesday, April 20, 2021

in which dinner becomes an unmitigated disaster


Let's start with the pasta.  I was so excited to see artisanal kale and cheese ravioli in the local supermarket that I'd ignored two crucial things written on the packaging: first, that they were gluten-free, and the pasta itself made from corn and rice, and second, the instructions "do not freeze."  So although I'd defrosted them this evening, the minute they hit boiling water they disintegrated into a mushy mess.  When cooked, their draining - well, let's just say that I've got the colander clean, now.

But there was a reasonable amount of something edible left.  Some tomato sauce, I thought, and some seasoning ... at that point, the top came off the peppercorn grinder and the entire contents of a full container spilled over countertop, floor, and, yes, my dinner.

I gave up after a few mouthfuls, and reverted to cheese and crackers.  I can only claim in mitigation (so far as the pepper goes) that I was rushing back to the TV to see, once again, the wonderful footage of Derek Chauvin being led off in handcuffs.  It mightn't exactly be justice, but it's accountability, and today, and in this case, I'll celebrate that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment