Tuesday, January 10, 2023

more encounters with the past


From the nether - the very nether - regions of the garage, this contour gauge emerged.  I don't recollect ever hearing of a contour gauge, which looks like a very, very fine toothed flea comb.  So having watched a video or two, I understand - one presses it up against an object - like a door frame, say, which allows one to trace round the indentation made so that one can then cut a precise - well, contour in the shape that one wants.  They're now made of plastic, which might scratch things less - but how useful!  I never knew!  And whenever were Readers Digest in the business of making useful tools?


And this is the small boy (aged eight) who grew up to keep a metal Contour Gauge for all the times in which he might find it handy;


and in turn, his daughter.  I hope he's not teaching me a Nazi salute - maybe a regal wave?  Maybe how to hold a Contour Gauge?  You will note the stuffed cat - I was trained, young.  And ... sorry, Jon: I think this must be you, on the right, and it's not your best angle ...

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Kate! You write so vividly. Your father taught you so well to appreciate life, and life’s little things.

    ReplyDelete