Friday, January 6, 2023

the abandoned chairs of West Wimbledon


Very, very long-term readers of this blog will remember, I'm sure, my series of Abandoned Chairs of Highland Park.  That was back when I was fascinated by series photos, from Bernd and Hilla Becher's recordings of utilitarian industrial structures, to people who take family pictures in the same place year after year, to images of the same bus stop at the same time every day.  Here, let me introduce you to the Abandoned Chairs of West Wimbledon.  In pretty good condition, they sit here damply at the bottom of Copse Hill, waiting for - for somebody who needs a set of cheap chairs for their kitchen?  For people to sit in them?  They may be semi-permanent fixtures, rather than freebies, because they are just by an electronic vehicle charging station - but there was no helpful sign saying Please Sit or Please Take (or Don't Take, for that matter).

I was on my way - a very wet way - to take the Order of Service for Ray's funeral to the printers.  The image I shared yesterday will go on the back page of the actual text; here's the one that will go inside the front cover.  I've always loved this.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment