Monday, August 21, 2023

the day after


Retrospectively, it was a big mistake using my best hiking boots for the mud-based engineering works: they are going to take much more cleaning than if I'd used, say, my big Hunter wellies, or even a rather fetching shorter pair of rubber boots with spots on them.  However, the urgency of yesterday morning was such that I grabbed pretty much whatever was at hand (or, rather, foot).

It poured quite a lot more during the night - prefaced by the alarm signal going off at 2.51 a.m., which jolted me out of some very peaceful dreams (about choosing italic pen nibs for fountain pens.  Evidently that's what my unconscious entertains itself with in the middle of the night).  But nothing came into the garage, and by this morning all the clouds were drifting away.  Schools were out - or rather, shifted on line - for the day, so although I had to cross town to the dentist I was there in double-quick, no traffic time.  Really, the whole thing was no more disruptive (here, that is, in LA - plenty of flooding elsewhere) than one's average heavy winter storm, largely because there was almost no wind.  I think we - that's a city-citizen "we" - were very lucky.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment