Saturday, September 2, 2023

'bye ...


How does one say Goodbye to a house that's been Home for 62 years?  That's both a practical question - how does one spend the last ten minutes or so there? - and an aesthetic one: how does one document it? (and let me say - this is just a selection of the many, many photos I took today, with a sense of Never Again).  Of course, there's something a bit arbitrary in this - I could, after all, go back there tomorrow morning, before my flight (but I won't); I may have to go back if, heaven forbid, the sale doesn't happen because probate drags on even further than it is doing (but I hope that's improbable).  In other words, I still own it - or my father's estate does, technically - for another month or so.  But so far as I'm concerned, today was the final day.

I'd only planned a couple of things - not least, I read quite recently that prehistoric Britains used to have a ceremony when a house had reached the end of its livable-in years, and so I left a little bouquet of rosemary and lavender on the inside threshold.  What I'd not anticipated at all was my last ten minutes or so there - I found myself going room by room - and of course into the garden - and thanking each room, aloud, for all it had given us, and reminding the house of my favorite memories in each of those places.  But other than that - after the final cleaning, and throwing away, and sweeping - it was melancholy in the extreme.  Of course so many of the pictures that I took are of shadows, and spaces, and emptiness (even though there's some furniture still to be retrieved by friends that's there) - or of the poignancy of things like all the taps and pipes that my father labeled in the airing cupboard.  His plumbing, perhaps I needn't add, worked, but is a mystery to me.

It's all poignant not just because this is, effectively, a Condemned House (and the more I emptied and cleaned it, the more it revealed itself to be held together with hope and a prayer), but because it wasn't just Home to me as a child, and while I was an undergrad, but - and perhaps especially - once I went to the US twenty two years ago: it was always where I returned to; where I felt grounded (not, of course, necessarily the same thing as happy) - it was my firm hold on my English self.  This was especially true this last year, since Ray died - I might have been permanently dismantling it, but I realised that I loved it now, and not because it was stuffed full of memories.  It's been a good, and wonderful, house.  Thank you, to 20 Hillside.











 

2 comments:

  1. Walter GomezSeptember 04, 2023

    Thank you for sharing and documenting your way of saying goodbye to a childhood home. Your people in LA will be so glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walter GomezSeptember 04, 2023

    By "people," we mean humans, cats, and plants... and house.

    ReplyDelete