Wednesday, December 6, 2023

back on campus


It felt good to be back on campus - which probably had less to do with the fact of chairing a department meeting than it did with the sunny weather, and the temperature of 74 degrees (that's about 23 degrees, in Centigrade).  Perfect.  And I managed to go and see the Kara Walker exhibition in the campus art gallery before it closed, too - I'll confess to finding her a bit same-y, in terms of her themes and thought, but amazing in her techniques.  And by that, I don't mean her trademark silhouetting of exaggerated racial stereotypes (that's what I mean about the same-y ness), but the range of print methods that she deploys - etching, and lithography, and linocuts, and aquatints, and screen print, and sugar lift, and spit bite (which sounds disgusting, but it's where you don't put the etched plate in an acid bath, but apply the acid by brush), and drypoint - she has an incredible amount of versatility and talent, and I think I spent more time looking at the close-up textures than I did considering the thematics.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment