Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The Nassau Inn

 


I think that the first time I stayed at the Nassau Inn, in Princeton, would have been back in 1989 - ? - when I was giving a talk on The Woman Reader at Elaine Showalter's invitation - and I thought it was quite the poshest hotel I had ever stayed in.  That might very well have been true.  There was a marble topped counter in the bathroom!  There were free toiletries!  Both those things are still true - unsurprisingly, since the Nassau Inn never changes - right down to the fact that I was the only woman in the Taproom having dinner (a surprisingly good burrata salad - there's not a whole lot conveniently open at 9.20 in the evening around here, and my choices were limited ...) But back in 1989, I was so very overawed and over excited that I literally could hardly bear to go to sleep, since it was such a treat to be in a room like this, and I thought it not improbable that I'd never stay anywhere like it again, and I wanted to savor every minute.  

Tonight, I want to sleep as long and deeply as possible, please ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment