Wednesday, April 24, 2024

USC - on campus and back home


I made two brief visits to the protest on campus day - brief, because of graduate exam, and aching (and bandaged) head.  What I saw was peaceful, good tempered, and conducted in the spirit of wanting peace - with Muslims, Jews, and people who most likely identify as neither, but know murderous wrong-doing when they see it.  They had a program for the day, pinned to a tree - including yoga and meditation, poetry reading, reporting on Palestine, an Israelism discussion, a Kaddish reading and a sunset vigil.  What did the University end up doing?  There was an escalating number of Trojan Alerts; and of closures on campus; a half-hearted and mealy-mouthed letter from the Provost (probably written by McKinsey & Co) which made a limp attempt to say oh yes, we do support free speech - and then, by the time I was home, the LAPD were there in force, rubber bullets and riot batons at the ready.  Although I don't think I knew any of the protestors who remained in the center of Alumni Park calmly waiting to be arrested (after being told to vacate for trespassing.  Trespassing? Really? In the center of campus?) I was proud how they calmly and, yes, peacefully, one by one, gave themselves up to be arrested.

Moth's expression shows how horrified she was by the turn of events.

We're told that we can teach on-line tomorrow, if we like.  NO WAY am I missing teaching my last undergrad class of the semester in person!  I have just taken a fine batch of chocolate chip cookies out of the oven.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment