Sunday, February 24, 2013

oscars night


I'd have done even better, of course, if I hadn't hedged some of my bets ... The shocking thing about an Oscar Ballot is how it brings out my inner, and alas not very deeply hidden competitiveness ... right from kicking myself for not going for Christoph Waltz as Best Supporting Actor, as my secret research weapon, nj.com, had suggested I did.  At least, I think that was nj.com.  Of course I could be found doing my research most seriously, especially around sites that took all kinds of voting variables into account.  Which sites, other than fivethirtyeight?  Ah, that would be telling ... I managed to come third, despite the Waltz  issue, and already am sharpening my antennae for next year.  Curious how very little one's own preferences and desires should be listened to, although I do admit to having an instinct about Brave.  Thank you, Vanessa and Rebecca, for much fun, and for maple bacon popcorn ...

... and yes, that is a large china zebra on my desk: not a sure-fire winner picker with its hoof, but a relic of the Oxford equivalent of a 99 cent store many decades ago - I think he's meant as a cookie jar, and seems to have temporarily lodged in front of my work during this endless unpacking process ...

No comments:

Post a Comment