Friday, January 3, 2014

covering up


Ah, there's no mystery under here waiting to be unveiled: rather, there's a Victorian watercolor of the ruins of Soli Pompeiopolis, in southern Turkey.  It looks wild and desolate and very lovely in the painting: checking out its location on line, I now find that the site is very much marred by the skyscrapers of contemporary Mersin in the background.  

At this time of the year, though, the sun comes in low, and shines directly onto the painting unless the blinds are down - which they're not, when I'm working in my study, because I want to be able to see the mountains in the distance (without any skyscrapers).  So I have to remember to cover it up ...

... or, indeed, taking down the picture to double-check the location, just now, it struck me that a much better solution was to move it ... which I've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment