Friday, August 8, 2014

another kind of installation


If my camera battery hadn't gone flat on me, this might have been Katharina Fritsch's Hahn/Cock, bright and blue and huge, on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square: a neatly angled shot, with Nelson looking as though he's riding on the rooster's back.  But it didn't turn out that way.  Instead, the one picture I managed to take was of newly installed spikes along a broad window ledge outside an office building in Covent Garden.  I'd read about these homeless-people-sleeping-deterrents, but hadn't realized they were quite so aggressively solid.  As I was taking it, a very officious-looking woman wearing a tight orange dress flounced out of the front door and said "Do you MIND?" in the most English of ways - I can only imagine how she'd begin to act with an actual homeless human, rather than someone documenting their former habitat.

No comments:

Post a Comment