Monday, September 18, 2023

no más cuca's


So here's a linguistic conundrum, nailed to a palm tree on my way home (for the record, the house, fence, vegetation add up to a very, very typical commuting view for me).  Cuca, in Spanish, is a decidedly rude word - denoting women's genitalia - and probably not what you'd expect to see exterminated (though one never knows).  But that upside down brown beetle, waving its legs in the air - that's definitely a cockroach.  So - No More Cucarachas.  Cucarachas is, after all, a long word to fit on a little placard.  But is it a deliberate pun?  And do cockroaches, internationally, attract vulgar punning?  After all, in Bahasa Indonesia - the only word I can remember in Indonesian - "cockroach" is "likas".  Don't even get me going on how I know that: it involved my bag, in which there were some rice cakes - and, well, cockroaches notoriously don't come singly, do they?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment