Friday, December 8, 2023

carniverous plants


I was walking onto campus past the Music School this morning, and saw a sign in a window.  I'm never one to walk past a sign.  This one was below a terrarium and some loose plants, and informed us that they are carniverous, and free to a good home, and "give them lots of sun and some distilled water and they will be very happy." Somewhat incongruously, I feel, they've been raised and nurtured by the orchestra manager.

But - would one feel guilty not feeding them little bits of meat?  Or propelling flies or ants in their direction?  I find that some of the biggest eat lizards and small mammals, which is a little scary - no wonder the Victorians developed a genre of man-eating plants stories.  Would they like some turkey for Christmas?  I didn't really feel tempted.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment