Wednesday, January 10, 2024

oranges on the drive home


I took this photo because of the oranges ... and because it's been such a work-busy day I didn't have time to even think about looking around me.  But the pay-off is, in fact, the sign - which I didn't take on board until I downloaded the picture.  There's some exploring to be done.  Alvarado Terrace is, apparently, a Historic Preservation District - built inside the lands that constituted the old Spanish pueblo, and that, under the hands of late nineteenth-century developers, were turned into a park, complete with a country club style golf course, with a terrace of upscale homes being built in 1903.  And the church?  Built in 1912 on the corner of Alvarado and Hoover, it was the home of Jim Jones's People's Temple from 1970 until he moved this to Jonestown, Guyana, in 1977 ... I will report back when I've been to look at the houses ...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment