Saturday, June 30, 2018

foxglove


In the long evening of an English summer, in a very English garden, a foxglove.  Despite the slow cadences of that sentence, no metaphors here: sometimes a foxglove is just a foxglove.

At which point, of course, I thought I'd better check.  Fox gloves - or folks' gloves; fairy gloves.  HUH?  I always thought that Reynard was meant to slip them on over his russet paws - at least, that's what I imagined when I very first heard the name, and I wish I hadn't just disabused myself of the image.  Digitalis: good ingredient for heart medicine.  That seems apt.  Poisonous if taken in excess.  OK, I'll remember not to chew any foxglove bells absentmindedly.  According to the Victorian language of flowers: foxgloves mean "insincerity."  Oh.  I won't be making any bouquets of them.

Sometimes a foxglove is just a foxglove.

No comments:

Post a Comment