Tuesday, November 13, 2018

fish van


For several decades, my parents have benefited from the Tuesday visit of the fish van.  This used to be run by Joe and Lisa - now - they having decided that the 3 a.m. run up to Grimsby (major North Sea fishing port) and back was a little arduous - have handed over to Lisa's nephew John, on the left.  On the right is my father, buying fresh sole for dinner, and salmon for Friday.  A very small piece of salmon.  I remonstrated that this surely wouldn't feed three people and a cat - even if my mother's eating very little.  Another sliver was found.  But it's a great array of fishy things for a very small van, and it's certainly great that this tradition continues - it's almost Victorian ... I should add that when the riding stables was still at the top of the road, Sooty, the pure white stable cat used to follow the van down the street, yowling hopefully (and was, of course, rewarded).

No comments:

Post a Comment