Tuesday, November 6, 2018

she voted!


... standing in line in the early morning sunlight.  Not, perhaps, the world's most flattering photo - but the fact of voting is the important one.  I felt naked all day, not bearing an "I Voted" sticker, but I can't swallow the stuff that would get stuck in my gullet if I had to swear allegiance to a country (still) led by the current president.  Of course I was hoping for a blue wave, but I'll settle for a blue swell.  At the same time - and super-delighted by the House flipping, and by Michelle Lujan Grisham's victory as Governor of NM, and Deb Haaland (from Laguna Pueblo) taking over from her in NM's Congressional District 1 - I continue to shake my head at the improbable phenomenon that so many people are still voting Republican.  At all.  Anywhere.

And also: what do you do with an English degree?  BECOME BETO O'ROURKE!

2 comments:

  1. With all due respect, I find it ironic that the U.S. under President Trump literally makes you sick, while at the same time thousands of malnourished people are marching towards her border for the chance to have your privilege. And before you lay blame at Trump's feet for their dire predicament, just know they are still coming because they do think the US is the best country in the world despite all of her flaws. As for people voting Republican "At all. Anywhere," well, there are people out there whose views differ from yours. It's called diversity of thought. Maybe if you tried listening, really listening, you might understand why some of them vote the way they do. And you'd learn to be more empathetic. And this way your throat wouldn't hurt so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didn't mention it in my first comment, but that IS a beautiful photo!!!

    ReplyDelete