Wednesday, January 2, 2019

a chilly sky


After six months, I've made it back to New Mexico for a couple of days of complete quiet - aka syllabus writing, review writing, article writing, etc etc, and collecting some books that I need for this semester's teaching.  Only ... the chill isn't just outside (down to 7 degrees F tonight, the weather forecast warns).  Something is very wrong with the boiler that supplies the radiant heat, it would seem, and I am huddled over a space heater (thank goodness for its existence in a closet), and will soon be huddled over a hot water bottle.  The house isn't completely frigid, and I'm trying to trap heat in it before I call Reliable Tech the minute they open in the morning, but it's not quite what I planned ... all the same, it's wonderful to be back.

Also - it's much warmer in Chicago, this year's MLA location.  Since I don't have to be there, I was avoiding it on the principle that it's always unbearably cold there.  That's called Ironic.



No comments:

Post a Comment