Sunday, January 6, 2019

New Mexico dawn


And this was all within the space of ten minutes or so ... dawn started a fiery red; progressed to something more yellow and blue - and then, if you turned your head to see the sun catching on the Sandias, and on the Jemez mountains, and the Cerrillos Hills - there was the magnificent ice-bow in the sky - made by the sun shining through tiny ice particles.  I've seen the strange circular phenomenon of sundogs, once - but never this wonderful arc, which appeared even though there wasn't a raincloud in the sky - at least, not between where I was standing and the bow. And then, I turned my head back again, and the sky had turned a curdled yellow, and there on top of our birdhouse was a bluebird - I'd seen him or her head inside at dusk the previous evening (for all I know there was an entire bluebird family inside there, keeping warm).  Back, now, in LA - more or less revived, or at least sufficiently revived to be able to face the semester.




No comments:

Post a Comment