Sunday, December 11, 2022

a long day - but reunited at the end


I ordered an Uber to LHR over a week ago, and had a confirmation right away saying that Asleef would pick me up at 7 a.m. today.  By 10 to 7 I hadn’t had any of the customary reminders - so checked my booking on the Uber app - it said Searching for Driver.  By 7, it shifted to No Drivers Available - with the option of shifting to Cancel Your Ride at No Cost. [Doesn't the idea on an option involve a choice?  There was none, other than a hysterical breakdown].  Good job that (a) I hadn’t put my woolly hat in a bag and (b) that I always (while feeling slightly neurotic doing so) build in time for eventualities…. So, still dark and 25 degrees, with thick frost underfoot, off I trotted to the station.  It's not quite a mile ... My father's street is a cul de sac, with the old house at the bottom of it turned long ago into offices, but residents are allowed to know they padlock number to get them through the gate ...

Then the tube terminated at Hatton Cross because of "a lack of drivers," and we all had to get out and wait for another.  Then Heathrow as enveloped in freezing fog, and we had to wait an hour for a wing de-icer ...

But eventually, back to LA, and after a display of indifference (not totally convincing), Gramsci was back in his usual place, draped over my shoulders.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment