Sunday, December 25, 2022

"chidden"


Ray both loved poetry, and was fascinated by language.  Only the other week he was reprimanding me, as he cried over some Housman, for not getting sentimentally moved.  I knew he wouldn't follow (by that point) if I explained to him that the reason I don't teach much poetry, and don't read it a great deal, either, is that it can ambush me and make me far too upset... One of his fairly recent favorites was Hardy's "Neutral Tones": "We stood by a pond that winter day, / And the sun was white, as though chidden of God ..." - and those might be the most cheerful lines in it.  What, he asked, is "chidden"? ["rebuked," "chastized," since you too are asking.  I had to look it up].  Rest assured, this bleak lyric won't be making it onto the funeral order of service (but the Housman may).

On Wimbledon Common this morning, everything in sight - apart from embarrassed dogs wearing Santa hats - looked decidedly chidden.  It wasn't actually raining, but ... I sat on a bench for a gloomy while, and recollected the stories about the times that Ray used to bring me up here for a walk: the time, when I was about 3, I apparently said, excitedly, "look! look! a black seagull!" (I was glad to find the Zeiss binoculars today: that'll help me recognize crows when I see them). Or the time when he said that he could turn on the street lights as dusk fell by treading on a metal water plate on the ground - stomp - and (by pure coincidence, or well-timed guesswork), on they came.  But I don't really remember these: only the anecdotes.  I do remember, though, after we returned to London after four years in Cumberland, coming to the pond with him to sail my model boats: a yacht with a wooden hull, and a tug boat - I would have thought made from an Airfix kit, but I can't discover the precise model on line.  Maybe it was just model airplanes that I made from sticky plastic-and-glue Airfix kits, and the tug was bought at Peggy Bowbrick's, the toy shop at the corner of the Ridgway and the High Street.

And yes: I'm strongly aware that in starting to dismantle the contents of this house, I'm dismantling 61 years of my life.  I doubt I'll find those boats, though.

And no - not all the day was "edged with grayish leaves" - a daffodil came out.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment