Thursday, June 1, 2023

garden, with handsome young Foxy


I saw his/her head pop up above the long grass when I was standing at the kitchen window - by the time that I was at the back door, cell phone in hand, they were bounding across the far hedge - two of them, in fact.  I had the impression that I'd rather callously interrupted an afternoon's sunbathing.  Then later, when I was having dinner outside, around 8.15, one appeared more or less at my elbow, apparently complaining that I'm no longer buying cans of Pedigree Chum dog food (as my father used to do) and doling it out.  That made me feel bad.

The garden is offering up a splendid example of rewilding. I've been reading a good deal about British rewilding these last few weeks - it's very much a Thing here, as opposed to the US - and certainly the lawn has benefited from No Mow May.  Only yes, it's morphing into No Mow June, to be followed by a few more months when I doubt it'll see a mower's blade, or scythe, which might be more use.  The foxes are very happy with this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment