Wednesday, June 28, 2023

patio flower bed (and a restaurant review)


I break with my normal pattern of dandelion obsession (not a single one in sight) to bring you breakfast at the Jambo Bobcat Bite.  I'd been looking forward to the reopening of the Bobcat - long-timers will remember it as a diner that served the most wonderful green chile cheeseburgers, and that then went through a convoluted change of owners, ventures, and now, at last, has been taken over by Ahmed Omo, who runs the African restaurant Jambo in town (where I've had both very good (lentils) and more indifferent food over the years).  This is - American diner meets New Mexico meets African.  

So - the patio is really lovely.  The service was terrific - laid back, friendly, efficient, all at once.  The food - I had the breakfast burrito (I mean, it was breakfast, after all, and it's New Mexico) - roti instead of tortilla, which was fine, although since I never eat much of the tortilla, usually, I didn't eat much of this - stuffed, or at least filled, with some rather solid scrambled egg, and maybe some cheese.  There must have been some cheese?  Unmemorable cheese.  Instead of NM red sauce, pili pili sauce - ok, not special.  The black beans were a bit watery.  The potatoes ... next time maybe I could just have potatoes?  The potatoes were wonderful - "curry roast red potatoes."  Coffee was diner coffee.  So - fine, although for a breakfast burrito I'd go to Harry's or Cafe Fina any day, or the Pantry if I was heading into town and hadn't eaten for three days.  

But it was completely worth it for the ambience and the view.  Next time, maybe lunch ... they have the old green chile burger recipe, they say.  And even if I eat red meat about once a year (ok, I exaggerate, I eat buffalo burger), maybe this will be one of those occasions: they claim it's locally sourced Native American raised, so it probably had a good enough life (even if it would have farted as much methane as the next bovine), and almost certainly would be healthier than the Impossible burger. But maybe it'll be the curried falafel burger ... indeed, that sounds very likely.  In other words, if I'm plotting my return, it's probably worth giving it a try.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment