Saturday, June 24, 2023

penstemon!


The first that I've seen fully out this summer, in one of the Eldorado culverts.  Having been thinking a lot about wild flowers and biodiversity this week (cf dandelions), I'm glad to celebrate it.  I was sorry, in the dusty gale that was blowing yesterday evening, not to be able to find any dandelion flowers - I have an unsourced note in my Dandelion folder that helpfully tells me "If you gather dandelion flowers on June 23rd, the eve of the feast of St John, they’ll repel witches."  So I guess I've got a nervous year in front of me, having failed on that front.  I have no idea what flower, if any, would repel La Llorona - googling reveals nothing, although I did learn that San Diego Zoo last year called their Corpse Flower La Llorona, and understandably, as a result, I would think, she didn't bloom properly.

Also a little later in my walk I saw a white rabbit (no pocket watch).  Huh?  It was rather a surprise encounter.  I could only take a picture of it straight into the sun, and at a distance - but blowing up the image now, its arched Roman nose with, I think, a pink tip suggests that it's a pet, rather than the usual wild Eldorado bunny.  She was in a driveway right outside a house, so I'm hoping someone knew she was there.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment