Friday, March 12, 2010

led astray

Take... three girls, one Harry's Road House, and... yes, this is a large slice of lemon meringue pie.

Once upon a time, chickens were a rare treat. We used to have A Roast for Sunday lunch - beef, or lamb, or pork. Chicken, back in the days before factory farming, were more expensive than this red meat (it is now very hard to conceptualize this fact). So we would have chicken only on special Sundays, like Easter Sunday. And I would always be given the wishbone to pull. And when I was quite small - say five or six - I would always make the same wish (I don't think I lacked imagination - after all, I had a fervent ambition either to be a truck driver or a choir boy - I just liked to think of wishes coming true). I wished that it would be lemon meringue pie for dessert. And yes, very often, it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment