Friday, May 12, 2023

Not the usual view


Indeed, I don't think that I've ever taken a photo of 20 Hillside from this angle before - and there probably won't be the opportunity to do so for much longer.  The roses are good - I hope they may stand a chance of survival.  Today's high spot - or low spot - was a local (and not at all upmarket) antique dealer coming round to see what he might buy - primarily china and ornaments and a few bits of furniture were, so to speak, on offer - he cast his eye over pretty much all the furniture, in fact.  Nice man though he seemed to be, it was a decidedly disparaging eye, as everything I'd been brought up with to think of as "best," and had been told "that's a really valuable ---" - fill in the gaps - by my parents turned out to be pretty much valueless in market terms.  Old wood furniture, in a - shall we say lived-in - state?  And of course, a lot of it was cheap in the first place because broken or cracked or whatever, and expertly mended by my father - but.  A few things - mostly thin, and sometimes dented, silver, but silver all the same (stuff, of course, that my mother and grandmother before her would never have out and use, in case someone saw it and stole it - without probably ever realising that it was sheet silver over glass or wood) - a vase, a bookcase, a cobbled-together side table - left with him.  But that leaves me with an awful lot of stuff that I'd hoped would be marketable, and wasn't, and now looks shabby and sad, and poses a challenge ...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment