Monday, August 23, 2010

Flash!

I have hoped and tried for years to take a good picture of a lightning flash, and this is as good as I'll get this summer, I think ... Yes, I know I could (and have in the past) set up a camera on a tripod, and sit there, remote shutter release in hand - but as with looking through the viewfinder itself, the problem is one's response time - in the instant that it takes to think Yes! A lightning flash! I must press ... it's gone. And at least, looking through the viewfinder, one can move the camera around to promising bits of the sky. In fact, I managed four separate lightning flashes this evening, but all the others are just little ones, shooting out from under low clouds. This does show pretty well what William Jennings, of Philadelphia, demonstrated in the 1880s - that lightning may wriggle down the sky, but it doesn't dart from side to side in anything like the regular zig-zags of traditional depiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment