Wednesday, April 6, 2011

the aesthetics of phone book destruction


This abandoned phone book is lying on the porch of an empty house on Mine Street, and I've been eyeing it for a week or two, waiting for the right kind of light ... having been working hard at my paper for the Book Destruction conference in London in ten days time, I look everywhere for examples of former books that have either been treated creatively, or that just make a good image in their own right ... this is reminiscent of the soaked and dried work of Cara Barer and Jacqueline Rush Lee, of course - both of whom I'll be talking about.   But it also led me to a wonderful dress made entirely of old phonebooks - 750 pleated pages from them - by Kelly Murray, from Indiana, which manages to be pretty, and witty, and a far, far better thing to happen to a phone directory than the fate that met the one above.

No comments:

Post a Comment