Sunday, September 2, 2018

a shy spider


I really don't know what this is.  I went to look at the African Lilies, which are on their last fading legs (stalks?), and found (a) that they are covered in ants (but so is everything in Los Angeles, this summer), and (b) that there were a couple of really unusual skinny spiders, with long thoraxes striped like marrows, feasting on the ants.  Does anyone know what they are?  Peucetia viridans, the Green Lynx spider, doesn't quite have these stripes, and anyway has lighter legs.  The Green Spider, Araneus juniperi, has very similar stripes, but a much rounder body, like a gourd or water melon.  It was incredibly shy and nervous, and of course I had no idea if it was friendly to humans or not, so I was hardly going to pursue it further - but even with a pretty good image, I can't find anything that looks like it on line.  Of course, in fall, I end up labelling everything that I don't recognize an Orb Spider, but that seems a bit of a stretch, this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment