Monday, September 24, 2018

Bonn, at both ends of the day


One view of the main university building (with sun!  that wasn't really typical ...), and three more from my room - pre dawn, post dawn, and this evening.  And the great news - I can stay in my room for tomorrow night, too!  I am not sure what piece of serendipity or behind the scenes manoeuvring took place, but I'm so very glad that whatever happened, happened.

I went to all today's program - and noted that in the introductory remarks given (from among a range of people) the chair of ESSE - the European Society for the Study of English - the emphasis was much more on anxieties about what's happening further east, to the edu-political scene in Poland, Hungary (which apparently has dropped Gender Studies as a state-sanctioned subject "because of budget issues), etc. - rather than Brexit (which just elicits a sad shake of the head).  As for Trump - rarely mentioned throughout the day, except to raise a laugh (with, though, an underlying sense that it's all symptomatic of related trends).




No comments:

Post a Comment