Sunday, September 23, 2018

Bonn (and confusion)


On the top, a view of Bonn University, where I've come to a conference of German professors of English to give a keynote on Tuesday morning.  Below is the beautiful view of the Rhine from the window of the beautiful room that they've booked me to stay in.  Yes, it is all as grey and cloudy as it looks ...

But.  At check in - I found that the room is booked for just two nights.  The hotel is - and will be - full.  I had asked the organizers if I could stay for all three nights of the conference (apart from giving my talk, there's an exhibition about the C19th flâneur at the art museum; there's a famous botanical garden, and, well, I've never been to Bonn. And there are some conference papers I want to hear.  And my train ticket back to London is booked for Wednesday, not Tuesday).  The organizer that I'm dealing with hasn't yet answered my email.  I don't have their phone number.  My original email was sparkling clear.  As a doyenne of room booking, I'm not exactly happy (and that's despite the barges going prettily up and down the by-now-dark river outside).


No comments:

Post a Comment