Thursday, November 12, 2020

final class!


... with Moth listening intently to a student presentation.  Who knew that she was so interested in the Ashcan School?  My students today, and on Tuesday, did an amazing job with their mini talks - today one on Native Americans in C19th art, one on the different ethnicities of C19th immigrants, one on representing "American Civil Religion," two on Winslow Homer, one on Peale and taxonomy, one on environmental reform, and the talk that totally captivated Moth.  Some of them were extraordinarily polished - not just in their organization and delivery, but in their stunningly designed and arranged slides - I felt that I learned a massive amount from watching their mastery of visual technology alone.

And I'll miss them!  Despite being entirely on Zoom, it ended up as a pretty tight knit group; that talked; that were wonderfully generous to each other in Chat (and all the same things can be said about my grad class, too).  And however much I might have yowled about making and recording four little lectures a week for this class, it was a terrific discipline condensing 150 years worth of American art and history into 24 sessions (plus their own talks).  I am already so looking forward to teaching it again ... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment