Wednesday, November 11, 2020

sky


The sky this morning was spectacular - not in the sense of a stunning dawn or a calendar-worthy New Mexican sunset, but cirrus clouds - mares' tails - wafting over it.  It reminded me ever so much of making marbled paper when I was five or six, which was enormous fun.  But I can't quite remember what method my mother and I used: I think making some kind of viscous paste, and dropping paint in it, and then pulling it around with a comb, and then, presumably, putting a sheet of paper on top momentarily.  It's the magic swirl of the comb that I remember best.  I suspect she found the instructions for this in a copy of Child Education - the magazine through which (plus the lessons available on the BBC Home Service) she was home schooling me, but mostly I remember learning to follow its (singularly unadventurous) baking recipes.

Cirrus clouds are meant to signal rain, but they blew away somewhere, and there wasn't any.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment