Monday, August 23, 2021

Flint family lunch #2


Another day, another lunch - this time with my cousin Jon, who is, among other things (like being the same age as me) a terrific print maker.  It's particularly hard when there are just three people at the table, and a couple of us really want to talk about making and looking at art - and about reading John Clare - and yet we don't want to leave my father out of the conversation, so there was a great deal of subject-swiveling.  

In the foreground, close to my plate, is a jar of "chipotle cheese" - courtesy of Fortnum and Mason, or, rather, courtesy of my own ordering from F&M - prior to my arrival - a case of wine, some jars of chutney, and some excellent crackers (I recommend, highly, charcoal and cumin).  Perhaps it goes without saying that I seem to be the only person to like chipotle cheese (I caught my father spooning his portion back into the jar).  There's nothing dairy involved: it's like quince cheese (ditto, no dairy) - that is, an old fashioned English name for a solid jam-like preserve.  I went to the OED online to check why, but of course it's one of the many occasions on which the University Library tells me "Your Connection Is Not Private" and won't let me access it - and it's too late at night for me to tangle with that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment