Sunday, October 23, 2022

fiesole and environs


An overcast and humid day - but an excellent walk (apart from occasionally fearing we'd be squashed against the wall by cars) from just outside the walls of I Tatti to Fiesole - Tuscan countryside at its wonderful and [not a word I use if I canhelp it] timeless best.  Of course there are all kinds of agro-business changes - and the Roman ruins at Fiesole are much, much more kempt than they used to be.


But I still managed to find the spot from which I made one of my very favorite drawings, decades ago, when I was a grad student ...


... I had to get Alice to send me a photo of it, to be sure.  And that was strange - I had completely misremembered where in the ruins I was when I drew this - I felt sure that I could remember exactly where I sat, but I was completely wrong.


And then on the way down, we stopped at a farm/olive grove/vineyard, and bought some of their olive oil and a bottle of wine ... with more olives sitting waiting to be fed into the press.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment