Monday, October 3, 2022

mostly at the Barnes Foundation


... although this isn't the Barnes at all, even if it's pretending to be watercolor: it's the corridor outside my hotel room, and quite startled me when I opened the door to go and hunt down some coffee this morning.

It was still raining.  My morning in the Barnes, before leaving for PHL and home, confirmed (for the most part) my fairly strong, and lifelong, dislike of Renoir.  And there are 181 Renoir pictures in the collection, which for my taste is about 177 too many - all that pink fleshiness and over-red lips.  That is not a considered art historical response, but there again, my reaction to him is pretty much entirely visceral.  All in all, I was most struck by the furniture, and by the southwestern art and some of the furniture - especially some wonderful painted chests.



Here are a couple of Courbets.


And here, I think, Renoir is actually showing a seaweed collector, so I should take some notice of it.


And I was very happy to encounter this Monet, Le bateau-atelier - the Studio Boat - of 1876.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment