Monday, November 8, 2010

pomegranates (homage to Yozo Hamaguchi)


Another exhibition at LACMA was a room hung with representations of fruit - including their own wallpaper of garlands of blemished and rotting and ripe fruit - by Fallen Fruit, the LA collaboration that seeks, among other things, to draw attention to quite how much fruit goes to waste in the city.   At least, that's pretty much how it started out, but it's now expanded to encompass all kinds of fruit awareness, from the conditions of Monsanto banana plantation workers to - well, mezzotints.   Yozo Hamaguchi's mezzotint that was on display was of one solo half pomegranate, its pith showing up white against the dark of its seeds, and the burred shadows of the table or whatever other ground it stood on: here, I've borrowed some of the effect, albeit in a dark aqua blue tinted black and white image.  

And I have a new promise to myself: when this house is sold, I'll do what I did when I sold my last house that bore the number 113: buy a print.   Last time, when eventually I sold 113 Marlborough Road, in Oxford, I bought myself a Piranesi print of the ruined temple that now stands just outside Rome's central station.   (I kidded myself that the reason the house wasn't snapped up was that the front door was mysteriously hung upside down, but it may have been the IRA sympathizing drug dealers as neighbors - I managed to get rid of it as student rental housing, in the end)  This time, I have my eye on a gallery that sells Hamaguchis.

3 comments:

  1. This is entirely off-topic, but you're the first person I could think of that might be interested... In Eliot's original manuscript for The Waste Land, the marginalia notes by Pound section off lines 36 to 38 in Part II (beginning 'My nerves are bad tonight...' and ending with 'I never know what you are thinking. Think.') with a single word of reference: "photography". Pound repeats the reference in line 51 (this time taking the form of "photo"). Any thoughts?
    Manuscript source ISBN: 0-15-694870-2
    -~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is Pound being snarky - about the poem, and about photography - suggesting that this is "mere" photography - just realism, Eliot transcribing what he saw or heard, and offering nothing transformative (in other words, not at all what I was doing with this pomegranate. Does TSE write about pomegranates, or are hyacinths the nearest thing to the underworld in the poem? Do I dare to eat a - pomegranate?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be the Vorpal Gallery in San Francisco.

    I was Hamaguchi's dealer for the last twenty years of his life.

    Feel free to give me a call.
    (415) 397-9200

    ReplyDelete