Wednesday, June 19, 2019

summer grasses


It's been a wet spring here in New Mexico - relatively speaking - and things are looking unusually green for this time of year, with plentiful wild flowers.  And, for that matter, plentiful tumbleweed: I spent a chunk of the afternoon removing tumbleweed and all kind of plants from our shockingly neglected driveway, and pouring vinegar (my panacea against almost all evils) on the stumps.  I'm sure, too, that all these grasses are increasing the pollen count to higher levels than is normal for June: my eyes itch and I periodically sneeze.  On the other hand, for the last eighteen years of living in the US, my allergies have never been as severe as they were (and still can be) in the UK - so I'm able to credit these grasses with feathery beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment