Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Cumbria miscellany


Let's take today chronologically.  The Bridge at Wetheral, in better weather than two days ago.


The house in Castle Carrock, where we lived for about three months when I was three (and where, to the best of my knowledge, I watched TV for the first time: Andy Pandy, The Flowerpot Men, and a much more fascinating Science-for-Schools program about atoms and molecules): that front porch is new, and it looks far better than I remembered.


Talkin Tarn, where my parents tried to teach me to swim.  It was VERY COLD.


Ditto.


Brampton: our local town, which - since it looks depressing now, must have gloomed my mother inordinately in the late 50s.  But I don't know that I ever knew that Dickens had been here.


The fabulous Burne-Jones windows in the Philip Webb church of St Martin's, Brampton.  Worth the visit.


And here, after a long and winding and beautiful (so far as I could see) drive past Ullswater and over a wriggly mountain pass, the view from our room, looking down onto Windermere;


and two views from the walk I took us on up the hill behind.  I promise - according to the Ordnance Survey map, there were paths.  It's just that they were a bit bracken-covered.  And: Alice learned the valuable lesson that dock leaves can calm down nettle stings.  Copious apologies were given by me: I was over-keen in reprising my youth as a mountain goat.


No comments:

Post a Comment