Monday, August 5, 2019

snail jug


As some of you know, the major focus of this summer's research and reading has been slugs, snails, and scale (yes, I've moved on from lichen for a while ...).  So this leads me, necessarily, to consider the ornamental uses to which they've been put: as the basis of design for jewelry, fabrics, pottery ... Of course, this propels me (procrastination, procrastination) to research-on-ebay ... So I was very pleased to get back to my USC office today, and find this snail-and-ivy Art Deco jug waiting for me (I wish, of course, it were a slug jug, because that would rhyme).  I think that it's Burleigh Ware, from the Middleport Pottery, in Stoke on Trent, and from the 1930s: I have a soft spot for Burleigh Ware, especially for the work that Charlotte Rhead did for them (I have a Rhead jug that I was lucky enough to find - many years ago - in an Oxfam shop in Oxford).  OK, it may not be to everyone's taste, but I'm very pleased with this piece of snailery.

No comments:

Post a Comment