Saturday, August 17, 2019

lichen, Wimbledon Common (and a surprising encounter)


For all I know, the lichen of Wimbledon Common had a formative influence on me ... certainly it was on magnificent display today.  This was on the back of a bench, as we walked past the Crooked Billet, across to the Windmill, down to Queensmere, and back - a good trek.  There seemed to be many more people out on the further reaches of the Common than I remember from decades ago - many, many runners, but perhaps fewer family groups.  We were very struck by how many unpicked blackberries there were, for a while - but happily, closer to the windmill, the pickers were out in some force.

Over the years, I've seen a number of surprising things in Wimbledon Village, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone taking such a small pony for a walk before ...



No comments:

Post a Comment