Friday, October 1, 2021

another day at the Met ...


Somehow, I couldn't get my US art history class last year to believe that marble sculpture was interesting - unless it was overtly related to the Civil War - but it is compellingly strange (this is Randolph Rogers' Nydia: The Blind Flower Girl of Pompeii - and obviously nothing good is going to happen to her).  I did feel happy that a visitor and a guard in the gallery lined up so beautifully ...


Another stunningly beautiful day, as seen from the roof -


where I really, really didn't care for Alex Da Corte's As Long as the Sun Lasts - I don't care if it's playful optimism and an homage to Alexander Calder and to Sesame Street's Big Bird - it couldn't have done less for me.


Give me a collection of English teapots, any day, 


or visitors looking at Julie Mehretu's Conversion (S. M. del Popolo/after C.) reflected in Rashid Johnson's The Broken Five - both of them very new works; or, indeed, the weird perfomance/exercise/something - what were they doing with what looked like part of a circus tent? - seen from a window.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment