Thursday, March 24, 2022

INCS, day 1


A conference!  A real, live, in person conference!  With a reception on the terrace of the University of Utah's Natural History Museum (and inside as well, but I was too busy talking to too many people to go and see the dinosaurs).  Imagine!

And it was good waking up to early light just hitting the mountains.


I spent much of the day going to Provo and back - a navigation feat on public transport - to see some paintings that I knew were there (like William Bliss Baker's Fallen Monarchs, 1886) - which has much more presence in person than in reproduction, and I'm weaving at least the image into my talk tomorrow), and some that were completely new to me -


like Beatrice Parsons' Annunciation (1897-99).  I only knew Parson's as a painter of British gardens, and flowers - there are plenty of them in this painting, of course, but it's a pretty early work of hers.  I'm glad she largely stuck to flowers after this ... Of course, the BYU art gallery was largely full of religious art, but much of it was really new to me - a Poynter Prodigal Son, a Henry Nelson O'Neill Esther, and so on.


And also, it being a sunny day, the bus stops had some very good shadows.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment