Thursday, March 31, 2022

National Parks


There must have been some good reason why - when I'm on leave ... I said that I would give a lecture tomorrow in a cross-disciplinary undergrad class on the National Parks - I think because the very premise of bringing people from Architecture and Environmental Sciences and Public Policy and the humanities and and and together seemed like a good one.  So off I go at 8.30 a.m. [8.30!] on Painting, the Sublime, and the National Parks.  And I've actually learned a good deal about the relationship between artists that I thought I knew fairly well and the actual formation of the NPs, and also about the endless, endless invocation of the concept of the sublime in this context.  And it's good for me to lift my head from the minutiae of lichen and dandelions and snails for a bit - though yes, I do end up with bark beetles, and the rust-colored devastation that they're causing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment