Monday, March 7, 2022

London, early spring, and "art"


In London, for the very very last REF meeting (I will miss it! though probably not as much, alas, as if we'd had all our meetings in person).  I will not miss drinking coffee and eating toast and marmite at 1.30 a.m. before spending a whole day (or night) on Zoom.  And as a treat, we've been put up in a very comfortable hotel, the NYX, very close to the British Museum - a hotel with a startlingly awful attempt to try and incorporate contemporary art, but at least they're trying ...

Anyone who knows the area will know that the top image is of Bloomsbury Square, and might well guess that I was heading to my favorite art dealers, Abbott and Holder, to pick up an interesting watercolor/gouache that I'd bought on line (obviously by someone, by which I mean someone with a trained painter's eye and technique, but unsigned and undated).  I knew that going in there in person would be a fatal move: I came out with a little Helen Allingham w/c of reapers in Surrey, as well.  Clearly, the hotel art below bears no relation to this.

It's totally wonderful to be in Central London again.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment