Friday, September 23, 2022

a happy volunteer


There are over 1,000 varieties of morning glory - imagine! - and I'm really not sure which this is.  Nor am I sure how it arrived in our front yard - I'm thinking that somehow, it could have hitched a ride from Santa Fe - others have, in the past.  But of course, it could equally well have blown in from somewhere round about.  I'm pretty certain that the only deliberate MG planting I've done has been in New Mexico.  But it was a wonderful surprise to see it blooming this morning - a happy volunteer.  I love the phrase "volunteer plant" - something that just grows of its own account, and hasn't been deliberately sown or dug in or grafted.  My favorite sighting this year (until this one, of course ...) has been a tomato plant flourishing, rather surprisingly, near the entrance to Cannizaro, in Wimbledon.  I can only imagine that its seed escaped, at some point, from a picnic sandwich.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment