Thursday, September 8, 2022

a sad day




Wherever I thought that I would be when I heard of the Queen's death, I don't think that I ever had Milwaukee Art Museum on my list of possibles.  It was, therefore, a memorably surreal visit to what is, unquestionably, a superb museum - the building, the collection (I was looking primarily at C19th US art), and the curation - so much care going into the labels, and especially in making one see racialized history that would otherwise be invisible.  And now I'm forty five miles further north, in a little house overlooking Lake Michigan (lake?  it is a huge lake, with waves, and at its widest point 118 miles across ...), with the moon gilding the water, and this offers plenty of space for contemplating, and indeed grieving, a figure who was there for my entire life.  It is - as I knew it would be - a huge, huge jolt to the scheme of things British.

So I'm likely to remember the museum ... but it's memorable in its own right.



I took so many photos of paintings - but I'll share just two details: a cat in a painting by Martin Drölling, The Music Lesson (1796) who seems really aggrieved that this bowl isn't full of something delicious, and a completely daft Fragonard sheep.



Milwaukee - with a downtown full of monumental buildings - seems a very art conscious town: here's a sculpture by Maren Hassinger, Pyramid, from this year - right next to the tall Northwestern Mutual building, it uses repurposed sticks from Fox Point.


And here, for good measure, is my view when I arrived in Oostburg this afternoon.  Two days of workshop lie ahead ...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment