Wednesday, November 30, 2022

The Wimbledon Platform


I've been standing regularly on this platform at Earl's Court tube station for ... fifty seven years: sometimes going to and from school (though increasingly I took the bus, for reasons that are now opaque to me); and ever afterwards when going to and from Wimbledon on visits.  Wimbledon is still the end of the District line, here - although sometimes I'll get off at Putney Bridge and take the 93, so that I get to see, and then walk along by the Common. Disconcertingly, the destination board has recently been replaced by a new one, and "Wimbledon" is now in the middle of the list, not at the top - even as the old 1930s lettering is retained.  So it's the same, but different.  And different, too, in that I don't ever recollect seeing winter sunlight illuminating the rails and platform in quite this way.  By the time I was at Wimbledon, it was, of course, getting dark, it being England in late November.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment