Wednesday, July 19, 2023

gooseberries


I love gooseberries so much - and they are all but invisible in the US.  I may once, about twenty years ago, have spied (and presumably purchased) a punnet in Wegmans - I have a dim memory to that effect, but that's it - until yesterday!  And the Farmers Market, where, at the stall where I always buy apricots when they're in season - there were Gooseberries!  Apparently they planted the bushes a couple of years back, and this was the first year there's been a crop ready for sale - three varieties of them!  The woman in front of me in line was asking what they tasted like - had never heard of them.  I, of course, bought two punnets - these have been stewed with a couple of spoonfuls of Los Poblanos's lavender honey, and a portion (well, two portions, since Alice had some too) were served with a slice of Sage Bakery's lemon ricotta almond cake.  Plenty were left for breakfast.

I've looked into buying gooseeberry bushes in the past - I tell you, I really am serious about them - butt we couldn't guarantee to water them year round in NM, and Los Angeles really doesn't have the right climate.  This had me wondering what happened to the gooseberry bush at 20 Hillside - I don't remember seeing it for decades, but don't remember the moment when it disappeared...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment