Monday, July 10, 2023

rehung


This painting, of Banburgh Castle, hung on the top landing at 20 Hillside for as long as - well, since 1961.  It's now looking good in the hallway in Santa Fe.  I've been exporting art work from the house since January, and have been pleased to bring some pieces here.

Ray painted this on a summer holiday that we took in 1960, staying in a cabin on the clifftop just north of Banburgh - with a wonderful beach down below.  Rama, our cat, was fascinated by the waves, which rolled slowly up the very shallow shore, and I loved the sand - quite apart from building castles, I drew endless, complex, intersecting railway tracks.  And my parents gave me a pair of (bright red plastic) toy binoculars, which, when I could focus them, were excellent for looking at seagulls.  Every time I look at this picture, it all comes back ... It's now hanging above some carved wooden apples and a bowl that Ray bought just a couple of years back at a craft fair at, I think, Merton Abbey, and which he gave us for Christmas that year.  They look good together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment